Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Movin' Ramble covering communism, paleontology, vacation and poor Internet service

I'm now officially in the middle of the move after talking about it for half a year. I found the perfect small apartment in the perfect vibrant neighborhood. The move is going to be a trick. I don't really have a lot to draw on in terms of help. The standard stuff moves first, the bed, the desk, a dresser, and the PC. To my surprise, Charter can't hook up the Internet for a full week. What's with that, Charter? Are you trying to tell me I'm living in a 3rd world country that can't keep up with Taiwan in Internet service? It does remind me of my days in the communications industry in the years between the dot.com/telecom crash and 9/11, working in Internet maintenance. I remember the empty feeling as management realized Internet usage was only growing at a quarter of what they thought. I realized that they couldn't get the capital to improve the Internet from private sources anymore. We've privatized everything with the Internet, and so we're under-capitalized and lagging every industrialized country. We have the narrowist Broadband. You might tell that I'm not a capitalist. I think the capitalist ideal is a fantasy on par with "Lord of the Rings." It's really in to regard communism as a failure. While I don't have faith in communism, and I haven't read Marx, I'd say Bolshevism and all it's spinoffs are proven failures, but Marxism? Communism? I don't know. Also, everyone I heard attributes it to "central planning," when that's really what just about every company does. What the capitalist groupthinkers fail to consider is that Bolshevism was run by terror and enforced conformity. Maybe that was the reason for the failure and not the central planning? After Stalin, the most terrifying dictator, died, communism began to unravel, but it did take more than forty years to unwind. We probably won't find out in my lifetime if other forms of communism might work, since it has been buried before the autopsy, and it's not going to be disinterred or reconsidered for a while unless people become desperate. It certainly does look to me like the wealthy in this country are doing their level best to prove Marx right after all, with the banking-mortgage scandals and TARP. I went on a cheap vacation last week, to the beautiful Black River. I need to find out why it's called Black. It must have appeared different when they first named it. Now it was low, almost a creek. It's spring-fed, and almost all the water in it was spring-water. I do think about the Ozarks and how old those hills are. They're an eroded mountain range that go back to the Cambrian Period. For you Creationists out there, that's about five hundred million years before God discovered the earth. I just wish my State had dinosaur bones, but it was above sea level during the time of the dinosaurs, so everything washed downhill. The vacation gave me a chance to sleep in a quiet place for a week, I came back feeling revived. Just in time for a move. Usually, I meet with my writers group every week, but I might not have anything to present to them next week simply because of the move. I hate that, though, so I'll try to eek out something: a poem, flash fiction, anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment