Friday, September 16, 2011

Moving Hell 4: Denouement

In the past two weeks, maintenance was in the apartment fixing gas leaks and then getting the furnace to work a total of eight times and Laclede Gas was in six. Finally, at 1:15 yesterday afternoon as I was looking at a list of landlord-tenant lawyers I could call, the man turned the furnace on and it worked. My apartment was officially habitable again so I didn't have to go through the process of voiding the lease.

I insisted that they have it inspected by an independent contractor to make sure it was sound. To my surprise, the management fought me on this one, saying that the maintenance guy who worked most on it was a certified AC-Heating Tech. I answered, fine, but he had also assured me twice that what I smelled wasn't gas when  Laclede's methane detectors proved it was. Immediately, I regretted saying that. I didn't want the maintenance guy to get in trouble or lose his job, but I hadn't been prepared for them to argue against an independent inspection.

So, I'm finally ready to finish my move. I should have just about everything here by Sunday, and I'll be putting things away and organizing for the rest of next week. It should have never been this bad. I had this move figured out better than any other I've done. But a little bad judgment and a lot of bad luck will defeat you every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment