Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Resolution

I don't generally go in for New Year's resolutions, but I will make one this time: I will post on this blog at least twice a week, on Wednesday and Saturday by 6 p.m.

I don't have a wife or GF. As an atheist, my "solstice" holiday is called Humbug. I've kept my family at arm's length this holiday season, and I've been happy. I'll still go over and help my Dad if he calls, but my sister and her husband are living there now, and so I'm not needed very often anymore. Socially, I don't have much in common with my Dad or siblings. I've felt disconnected for so long when I've been there, and it would trigger depressions.

Almost the entire time over these holidays has been spent writing, reading and critiquing.  Every day I've been exercising, and I've done some cleaning up, with plenty more to do, I'm afraid.

I celebrate New Year's with my writer's group tonight. The party also acts as our weekly meeting/reading. This group is dedicated. They've met every week for seventeen years, never missing a one. We almost missed last week because our usual venue was closed and almost everyone was with family, until one guy put together a small party, including me, who did readings. I wish I had joined them when they started out in the mid-90s. Of course, this thing called the Internet was just getting started then. It was only by the Internet that I found them. Because their website made them appear inactive, at first I passed them over for another group that didn't work out so well. They would only read somebody's works once a month, and only about 1/6th of the words.

In the current group, half the people have been published, one of them has sold a novel, one has received the interest of an agent in the last year. It's a good group. It has purpose.

I have to get my installment prepared for them tonight. Maybe I should practice reading with vodka this time . . .

Mood: happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment