Thursday, November 1, 2012

Spooky Neighborhood Houses

I spent Halloween watching favorite movies, Ginger Snaps and Ginger Snaps: Unleashed. (More about them later, I'm promising.)

As always, I run late on things, so I put my Halloween tribute blog, but every good horror movie has that afterthought, the scene where the supposedly dead monster comes back to life for another attack. Try to see this entry the same way.

I do live in the coolest neighborhood. There are some really creepy, almost mansion-type houses within walking distance of where I live. This first one isn't too creepy yet, because it's so well kept:

Actually, Lucifer lives here.
If they just neglected it a little, that place could get so creepy within a few years. I'm surprised they didn't decorate it for Halloween, but apparently they're sense of property value won't allow it. Think they're voting for Romney?

Well, the people in this house definitely are, (as shown by the Romney sign) even if their house can creep you out:

The great-grandparents are buried in front yard.

I mean, look at that place! It's got the wall, the fence, the gate (which I bet even creaks.) It's old, brooding, just unkempt enough, it rises three tall stories between autumn colored trees under a gray sky. And I hate to think what enraged spirit is looking down at me from that third story window.

I got brave enough to foolishly draw closer (last spring) like any good Lovecraft character:

Warning: Impalement Danger. Do not let children climb on fence.

 What makes this even more remarkable, this house has a twin, on the same estate, behind the same wall, just down the street. This one is even vacant:


Once owned by a cross-dresser with mother-issues.
 However, this last takes the prize. There is no way you could look at this and not be awed and creeped out:

That chill you feel is just the blood curdling in your veins.
And it gets better as you look toward the side, and see the old servants' quarters where every family who ever lived there are entombed underneath:

"Winthrop, father's tired. Please accompany him back to his vault."
All told, it's a lot of fun with just a very short work. I really do live in the perfect neighborhood, for me, a horror writer. I was just a little late for Halloween with this one, but, I'll build on it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment