Friday, November 2, 2012

Writing faster.

I have got a better process for writing now, and I'm finishing the epilogue of my fan fiction novel, Ginger Snaps: The Feral Bond. I think I might make record time for the chapter.

I tried to defy the stereotypes and cliches both in werewolf stories and with female characters. It's a fantasy story, but the girls in this, whether from GS or from my imagination, originate in the real world. I didn't avoid their sexuality or appearance, but I think I avoided sexualizing them. There are some male characters, but the female characters drive the plot, and human or semi-beast, they do some remarkable things. It has many characters, and a lot of them are flawed but have a moment of heroism.


It's a hybrid: most of the things in it are my characters and my plot elements. How much did the movie Ginger Snaps inspire me? The book is 600 pages long. Also, its ending is open for a sequel, but that's for anyone who wants to carry it on. (Any work of fiction today should be written to have a sequel. I know that attitude's controversial.) I'm not open to writing one, though I am tempted to write another draft and it would likely be shorter. The film re-awakened my drive to write, and for that, I will always be grateful to the cast and crew: 


Brigitte (Emily Perkins) and Ginger (Katharine Isabelle) recalling their oath: Out by sixteen, or dead in this scene, but together forever.


I considered it to be a dry run to my writing career, a kind of graduate student project, like a dissertation. Though I'm not in school, I really needed to prove my skills and commitment to myself.

I used to play Civilization, (in fact, I probably will after I'm done with the epilogue, just for a really cheap vacation). I used to sit and play that for forty hours at a stint, sitting at the computer and meticulously building the best nation. In my mind, there was always a narrative. That's the obsessive dedication I've aimed at the project.

Someday soon, I'm going to have a blog entry entitled "Why Love Ginger Snaps?" to explain my passion, some would say obsession with this movie. Then, maybe I'll turn it into a Youtube video.  However, I have a lot of irons in the fire now and have to ramp up my writing speed before that happens.

Probably the most disturbing werewolf in movies, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment