Sunday, April 24, 2011

The struggle with sleep

Sleep problems have continued, but I'm tired now and I'm hoping that means I'll sleep once I let myself fall into bed, and I'm not allowing that until at least 10.

I picked up the short story I've been writing again and have started doing some work on it. That has made my disposition better, on everything but anti-choice, Christian blogs. Every atheist has heard the question: if you're over religion, why do you always have to argue it, why can't you let it go?

It's for much the same reason why I can't take my mind off a fart in the elevator even if I didn't do it. I don't mind if people want to live as though there's a God, and one who cares, and if they try to reach Heaven and avoid Hell if they imagine an afterlife with those. However, it's when these decisions lead to unjust political decisions and stupid social behavior that I begin to get annoyed, and angry, and I'd have to say, yes, I could step over the line and get insulting. It's also too easy for an atheist to notice insults that Christians wouldn't find insulting to each other.

Unfortunately for the Christian religion, God in the Bible punishes nations and even genetic lines. So, Christians feel they have to be involved in stopping the nation from sinning to prevent God's wrath. This becomes a public service. So, in the abortion debate, if a woman gets a back-alley abortion due to illegality, Christians see it as her sin. If she dies, they might even see it as unfortunate even if she's sinful. However, if the nation legalizes abortion and supports the women seeking one, then the nation is sinful. They have to stop the nation from sinning so God doesn't bring back the Assyrians to conquer us. Or worse, he brings about the Rapture, and nobody from the US is taken up.

The fact is, though, they don't do it to persecute women, at least never consciously. They see the death of some women through a back alley abortions to be a necessary evil. Though some have gone so far as to say that there wouldn't be any back alley abortions if abortion were illegalized.

It's beliefs like that hovering around Christianity that indicated the religion, like almost all others, is brain damaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment