Saturday, April 30, 2011

A writers' block blog.

There are at least two things I won't write about in this blog. One of them is family. I realize that probably limits me. I know my blog doesn't have any bells or whistles yet. It's pretty bare-bones basic, but I promise I'll add to it as it goes along.

I actually had a successful day writing fiction. This was important to me. I'm thinking I should have the short story done by Monday. I should be reading at the writers' group meeting. It'll be good to see the group again.

I got some criticism extremely helpful criticism on the beginning of my GS novel. "Ginger Snaps: The Feral Bond" from another writers' group on Tuesday, or rather, one person there. I would be the first to admit that I'm not the best at style. In fact, when I'm writing fiction and concentrating on the imagery and description, I could be very slipshod about grammar and style. I am doing my best to improve it, reading through Walsh's "Plain English Handbook." The problem is, learning the finer points of proper English is one thing, but trying to apply it on the page? That's another level of difficulty.

There is one phenomenon of getting criticism from a writers' group: unlike an established author, the readers don't trust you. When a horror-fantasy character says they can grab things off store shelves faster than the security cam can pick it up, it's not because I made an error saying they can move faster than light, it's because 1) Security cams are low on resolution; 2) The character does have super-human speed; 3) the character herself is impressed with it; 4) She's never seen herself on a security monitor; 5) she only knows she's never been caught; 6) the character as narrator is unreliable.

Now, if the reader trusts your competence to begin with, this shouldn't be a problem. They won't look at the sentence and think, "oh, this impossible, the author fucked up." Instead they'll think, "This is impossible, what is he trying to tell me?"

For the most part, though, it was splendid criticism.

I hope to have the story done by tomorrow, at least, the first draft, and polish it on Monday before the meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment