Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Frittering.

Tonight I have some late-night cooking to do. It's pretty simple. Chilli. I've been procrastinating it for days, and procrastinated it for hours today.

I don't why I do that. I don't dislike cooking (as long my is sharp). It's necessary work, I mean, this will be 8-12 meals. I let myself get distracted with the Internet, which always has either something important to read or write. Actually, let's just say I look for something on the net that will let me put off any work fro a few more seconds. Seconds turn into minutes, and-- physically speaking-- sitting and browsing is less work. If I were rude, or maybe it's honest, I would say I was being lazy. Looking for something more important to give me an excuse to stay zoned in front of the computer.


However, there's a little more there. I'm too reclusive. The Internet is a connection to the world.

Today, I took the bus, I'm getting used to that and walking. I forgot my hat, forgot my gloves, and it was cold. I picked up another medication, and a few bus passes. I spent some time reading in the library. I read a short story by Joyce Carol Oates, Landfill, about a kid's body found in a landfill. I have to say I didn't find much point in it, but I was very impressed with her writing technique. The story starts with the body being found and works backward to the murder. I could only find one reason this was in a fantasy and horror collection, and that was the situation that this person dies in was horrible and sick. I guess it compares to Chuck Palanuik's short story Guts. (I'm a horror writer, and this story, like JCO had no supernatural element, and was scared and sickened by it.)  They were both realistic, and neither had any fantasy element to it.

Now that I think about it, I'm beginning to see more of a point, that this "nice person" turns out to be a total jerk who nobody liked and every one of his "friends" wanted to forget.

I walked to the Metro offices and back trying to get a disabled ID. Found out I needed to go to the Forest Park Office. I came home tired and cold. Got on the Internet, and went to sleep. Time to cook.




No comments:

Post a Comment