Friday, September 14, 2012

I'm Not Slacking; I'm Waiting for Parts.

Working on a short story, Maternal Instincts, for publication, I hope. However, it's being difficult. The first scenes I wrote aren't working. I'm using Ingermanson's Snowflake method, even though MI is a short story, not a novel. I'm experimenting, figuring that it might save me a draft or two if there's more work on the front end. Tonight, I just changed a major character, and it solves two plot problems. It's a little disorienting. I have to get used to thinking of the character differently. This might also require some research on youtube.

Fact is, this is the part of writing that doesn't look like work, because I just sit there and wait for my mind to solve the problem, with no idea how long it will take. Usually, it looks to anyone like I'm goofing off. However, so far it hasn't helped if I try to force it out of my brain, or if I let my attention wander. The answer doesn't seem to come any faster. However, I'll try the squeeze-the-answer-out method next time. What definitely helps is making sure I'm well rested.

People don't realize this, but fiction writing is not one skill. There are many involved. The skill set includes plotting, dialog, description, word choice, outlining, production, visualizing, characterization . . . and at least several others. Writers will vary in their mastery, or lack of it, in all of them. Story troubleshooting would be one of them. 

However, it's a very small part of the process, so I don't often have the excuse that I'm "waiting for parts." The same with plot development. So, I won't look deceptively lazy very often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment