Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Yet another story started.

I needed something to read at the writer's group. I swore I would always bring in something there. However, everything I'm working on now is either something I've read already which is under rewrite, something that's a much later chapter than the parts of read, or something that's under complete reconstruction.

So, I went into my short story folder and found something I started a few years ago. I worked on it for a little, and found that I liked it. I took it in for a reading.

I met resolution, but I now have a lot of things started, and more story ideas which I don't have a chance to finish yet.

In other writing news: I got a rejection. Any creative writer has to learn that acceptances and rejections are mostly a matter of luck. If you're professional, submitting a work is gambling without money. On duotrope.com you can see what percent acceptance rate specific publications have. If a writer knows statistics, I'm guessing they can take the percent acceptance of every magazine they've submitted to, compare it to one's own acceptance percentage and figure out if they're doing better or worse than average.

In one way, I'm fascinated by this, in another, I recoil in fear. It's an objective way to find out how I measure up to other writers. In a another way, it makes the competition with other other writers explicit. Really, I'd rather live in a world where the spirit of competition doesn't effect the type or quality of stories the audience if offered.

There's probably not a better time to be a writer, because even if you have a story that's rejected everywhere, you could still self-publish it without risk. Of course, if the stories are rejected everywhere, you better have a pretty good handle as to why, and it better not be a quality issue, because you may be showing the world the worst examples of your writing. This might make it impossible to ever get paid for anything else.  


No comments:

Post a Comment