Friday, August 24, 2012

Attention Deficit (introduction)

One reason why it's far better I work alone is that my sleep schedule is so unpredictable. I've used alarm clocks, three at a time. Yes, I can get up, but it usually means going through the day mindlessly tired. I've made huge, embarrassing errors at work just from sleepiness.

It's almost as unworkable for me to try to go to sleep at a regular time. Usually, I get enthralled with something, and this tends to happen more when I'm tired. I'll fall into bed so sleep deprived I can't think straight. If I go to bed early, I'll end up being awake and restless.

So, with exceptions, I go to sleep when I feel exhausted and I wake up whenever I do and schedule my day from there. This usually entails planning to read and write  long after I'm mentally capable of doing anymore. In other words, I'll plan on being up working until 2 a.m. but I'm wear out by midnight, sleep, get up when I do (now, almost always by 8), writing out my schedule for that day and picking up where I left off.  

This might seem like luxury, being able to sleep as long as I want, but it also means always being out of sync with everybody else. That is to say, if you have a "real job" people have to be there at a certain time in the morning just to make sure they can work as a team and do everything as planned. Social cooperation is the main reason. In other words, there's the constant reminder that you are alone.

Lack of a predictable sleep pattern, and periods of sleeping few hours than is healthy, is a symptom of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. I have a longer post coming up about this. Let's just say, it's better that I choose to work alone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment