Thursday, August 23, 2012

On the Blink

Whenever I have a computer problem, it's impossible to tell if will take two minutes or two weeks to fix. As I was backing up this morning's work, my Documents library just vanished. To my relief, after 20 minutes, I found all the current data still contained in the My Documents folder, but my machine no longer saw the library. I restored everything from there.

Whenever this happens, I try to envision that what we're essentially doing with computers and  networks is wrangling electrons. These particles are so small and light they almost don't exist. Yet, we get them to dance the Heisenberg for us as though they're a chorus of Cabaret girls in Wiemar, Germany. These are a many orders of magnitude smaller than grains of dust and many times as ephemeral. By any logic, they should scatter if we so much as breathed on them, but instead, we make them do elaborate tricks. Electricity is for us what fire was in the prehistoric world. Our lives depend on it, depend on our training a TB^3 bunch of nano-fleas to jump in sync and in the same direction like one massive flea circus.

And they do it. They're domesticated electons, that sometimes get a little testy, or maybe they bump heads with each other, and cause bugs and glitches.


No comments:

Post a Comment